Our community group is going through Howard Dayton's Your Money Map, an awesome book about pursuing financial freedom. It is great because Dayton lays out attainable, logical steps that if you stick with them and are intentional, you can radically improve your financial situation--and in turn--your relationship with the Lord through the peace that it brings.Tonight we were talking about ways to save money, and as a group we decided that at some point, we are all going to take a month and not spend anything that is outside of the necessary spending plan items (tithe, savings, rent, utilities, groceries, gas, etc.). The idea is that if we spent 30 days not spending money on anything that wasn't really necessary, we could save quite a bit of money that we just flush down the toilet each month. Just to give you an idea, the author says that eating lunch out each day at just $6 a day ends up costing $1,500 a year! (That could easily be saved for a nice vacation....) I didn't say that though....MK and I would totally put that money towards our debt or in a high interest savings account....haha.
Anyhow, if you know me at all, you know I like a challenge. I am very intrinsically motivated to do just about anything that I decide to put my mind to. I like this challenge because I honestly think it will be hard. Very hard! Those little trips to Sonic Happy Hour--gone! Those little extra purchases at Wal-Mart during the week-double gone! You get the idea. Popcorn at the movies--not gonna happen because we're giving 'em both up for a month. Yep. A month.
My goal is to make it similar to a fast. So whenever I am really feeling like I need something (which is probably more of a want usually anyway if I was being totally honest), I'm going to try and pray. I'll thank God for what he's already given me because I have enough. I will also ask him to make me even more content with where I'm at. I'll go get in the Word. And, I'm going to ask him to take away that "craving" so I don't desire THINGS anymore. Simplify. Simplify. Simplify.
I'm pumped. Hold me accountable, everyone!
It'll be hard.
It'll be challenging.
It'll be hardcore.
No comments:
Post a Comment