Wow! What a great weekend...here's how it went down:
Wendi and I got a little bit of a late start to our trip, but by 9:15 Thursday morning, we (Wendi, Cole, and I) were on the road! It was a perfect day for traveling...sunny and gorgeous. After about 1,498,024,958,498 work zones in southwest Iowa, we made it to my parents' house just in time for dinner, although the 5 Pizza Ranches that we passed sure did look appetizing...wow sidetrack there. OK, we hung out and played cars with Cole, who did FANTASTIC in the car. Wow! What a phenomenal traveler he was. After he went to bed, we buckled down for a game of Settlers.
Friday, "Papa" got to show off his grandson to everyone at school in the morning. It was fun to see him with Cole on his own turf....walking down the halls at school and watching all the students see "Mr. Nervig" in a new light as "Papa"....pretty cute!! We also took in some time at the park, played some more cars at home, and just hung out as a family. We popped in a home video, and it was funny to see Cole's facial expressions as he watched 2-year-old Aunt Kristin and 8-year-old Mommy on the screen. Pretty sure he had NO IDEA who we were in that video...we look a little different these days, which is probably a good thing....
Saturday was really fun because Dad got to be at home with us too rather than at school...he played with the Colester while Wendi had a jewelry party. Check out her new summer stuff here. It's gorgeous!!! After that, I got to go up to the driving range and swing my mom's new hybrid clubs. I didn't make consistent contact all that well (I'm super rusty!!!!), which was frustrating, but it sure was fun to be back on the golf course with my dad! He always knows how to fix up my swing....I think I just need a little--ok A LOT--more practice! Thanks dad! :)
Then, after the Colester woke up, we headed over to Sioux City, which is where the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure was (on Sunday). We had a great time just being together...eating Chick-Fil-A, watching Cole play on the little playground thing at the mall, and laughing together. Great memories. We stayed at a sweet hotel and played MORE............Settlers of Catan. You betcha. My family is addicted, folks. It isn't even ME asking to play anymore. They just love it. It's certainly a nice change for me!!! Usually I'm the one dying to play games!!!
Sunday was the highlight....Mother's Day and the Race for the Cure. It was so neat to walk alongside my mom for the Survivor's entrance. I'm so proud of her, and it was neat to be there as we walked through the 1,800 people cheering for her and the other breast cancer survivors. It was an emotional and inspirational time! We did the short, 1-mile walk and then headed back home, but it was just soooo neat to be there for my mom. She's the best a girl could ask for.....gosh I'm blessed. I LOVE YOU, MOM!!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!
Sunday afternoon we got to see my aunt, cousins, and grandma. It had been soooo long--way too long--since I had seen them all, so it was nice to be able to celebrate Mother's Day together. I also got to meet little Aaron Wilson, who is such a cutie (you're doing a great job with him, Alysha!!). It was nice to visit with family and just be together.
The trip back to Arkansas today was uneventful, which was a blessing. It was great to roadtrip with my sister, and Cole could not have been a better traveler. I know that I will be investing in a DVD player for our kiddos some day. It really made the trip go smoothly. Veggie Tales, Elmo, and Cars, I salute you!
This is only the tip of the ice berg. As usual, it's hard to get all the memories down and into writing. My hope and prayer is that each of you were also able to spend this weekend with your family. I sure am blessed. Thanks Mom and Dad for a great weekend! Thanks, Wendi and Cole, for roadtripping with me!! It was sooo fun!
PS-A big thanks to my hubby, for letting me be gone so long and staying behind to work and provide for our family. It was sure nice to come home to you, MK. I missed you and love you so much!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I echo Kristin's thanks, Matt, for letting her come up for the long weekend! We missed you for sure!
There's nothing like making family memories together! You girls are the BEST!!
Post a Comment