I did go back to school (at UNI) the next semester. I took it easy, eased back in and began to feel more like myself. I was able to move in with a girl from high school--Huldog--she was kind enough to take me in since she had space in her dorm room. (Side note: I wish I had a picture of our sweet loft....that's one of my greatest memories of that dorm room). But anyhow, she made it so easy for me to come back to UNI and transition back in to a normal life. Thanks Huling!!! I know I matured because I found myself taking care of myself--getting sleep, saying "no" to things, etc.
That semester went pretty smoothly and I considered it a "re-entry" phase. My emotions/reactions from the past semester were now focused on my new obsession--the love of my life--MK!! He was definitely a "drug" that worked better than steroids, iron, or folic acid ever could--my man! What a blessing he was and is. Even when I was sick and living at home, he came to visit to me Thursday night through Monday morning (he had a rockin' class schedule). Our relationship flourished as he visited and loved me even at my lowest of lows--emotionally and health-wise. What a blessing, right? I had something to look forward to and that was absolutely critical in me getting better!
The next year (my junior year) I took on the role of Resident Assistant in a dorm of upper-class, single room students. It was one of the best (and hardest) jobs I've ever worked!! There were 4 of us on staff, and we each had our own floor of 50+ residents. The toughest part was the sheer hours that I worked--24 hours a day!! Similar to being a parent, I was always "on" and I kind of lived in a fish bowl with residents always popping in my room and people looking to me for needs that they had. Day or night, residents had access to me, and all while I was a full-time student myself.
MK had moved to Cedar Falls by this time and was a great support to me, especially on nights when I was "on duty." This meant I carried the duty cell phone and was "on call" for anything (which usually meant emergencies) out of the ordinary. On weeknights, I went on rounds and checked the entire building at 8:00pm, 10:00pm, and 12:00am. On weekends, rounds were pushed back to 10:00pm, 12:00am, and 2:00am. Those were long nights, and it was a little scary to walk the entire building by myself, so Matt would stay in the building until rounds were over, he would walk with me, and then he would go home. He's such a keeper.
While on duty I dealt with a variety of situations: underage alcohol violations, noise violations, sexual harassment charges against a resident, a suicide attempt, a resident peeing in the hallway after coming home from the bar drunk, and much more....the job was SLIGHTLY stressful.
In addition to those responsibilities, I was required to create unity and involvement on campus by having programs monthly for my residents and creating bulletin boards in the hallways. (For curious minds, I actually really enjoyed the creative outlet of the bulletin boards even though they were a TON of work).
In essence, I was an advice-giver, front desk worker, round-goer, phone-answerer, educational consultant, listening ear, adviser, policeman, and friend to my residents. It was great but stressful!!
Many of my GI symptoms came back during this time, and I was thankful that my dorm room was literally right by the bathroom (hand of God? I think so!). I was really stubborn and just ignored it, thinking that everyone probably went to the bathroom and pooped 6-10 times a day?!?!?
That job was really a good fit for me, so despite not always feeling well, I really did love it. Plus I had our upcoming wedding to plan for (PS- just another little thing on my plate, and NO, we did not have Pinterest back then for inspiration) and look forward to!!!
More to come...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You have such an amazing husband!!
Yes I do!!! He's very servant-hearted!!!! :) I don't know how I got soooo lucky?!?!?
Post a Comment