Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Series of (Un)fortunte Events: Chapter 9: Hand of God

It's at this point in my "story" that I must tell you all the ways that (looking back) I can see the hand of God orchestrating and working and moving through this awful series of events.  While many of the events were unfortunate, I feel fortunate that God is using this whole experience for His glory.  I couldn't say that in the midst of it, but now I am able to look back and see God's fingerprints.  There are more, but these are what come to my mind:

- living in NYC was the only time in my life where I was truly "on my own" and living independently of parents or a spouse.  This taught me some valuable lessons about being on my own.

- Moving. Period.  Moving is always good for people (ok--personal opinion).  I think it forces you to step out of your comfort zone and rely on God for comfort and trust that He will provide everything you need.

- I lived with one of my best friends, Elizabeth, in NYC.  Without her, I'm sure I would have not lasted nearly as long.  God has blessed me with her friendship for over 17 years.  This time in NYC "re-kindled" our friendship and I wouldn't have wanted to live with anyone else but her.  I love you, Elizabeth!!

- I learned a lot about health care and insurance.  This would be especially important prior to my marriage to MK as we made wise decisions about jobs, timing, finances, etc.  If I thought that insurance was a confusing mess then, God was just dipping my toe in at the time.  Uff da.  I'm glad my eyes were opened to what it truly means to have health insurance and how to understand it all because it is now like a full-time job for me to deal with.  Not that I'm happy AT ALL about that, but there are no wasted experiences in life, and God used this initial hospitalization in Iowa City to open my eyes.  (I think my medical bills were in the 5 digit range--thank you, health insurance)...

- My mom was able to get a flight out to see me the very next day.  She doesn't like to fly by herself, and she did it.  Praise the Lord. Would have died in NYC without her.

- The nurse that ran out onto the street to get me when I had returned my poop samples. She saved my life!!  Only by God's grace did she run out on to a busy street in NYC yelling my name and looking for me and then got me in to the doctor.  Wish I knew her name and could thank her...so all you nurse friends that I have out there, thank you for all you do!!! :)

- I had met Matt the summer before at camp and he and I were officially "dating" but we had no idea how we would do 4 years apart from one another with him in Wisconsin and me in NYC.  So, we prayed often about how he would bring us closer (geographically).  He definitely made that abundantly clear, didn't He???? :-)

- The doctors in Iowa City worked their butts off to help figure out what was wrong and they were so patient with all of our questions and concerns that we had.  I still think it's a miracle from God that all they had to do was heat up my IV fluids!!!  CRAZY?!?  Nope, God just worked it out to keep it simple.  :)  Thanks God!

- The semester that I took off from school was a great time to spend with my parents and for them to get to know this "MK" guy that kept coming around on the weekends.  It was always important to me for my parents to not only like but LOVE my future spouse.  Sometimes I think they love him MORE than me!! :)  God is THAT good!  LOL.

- Lastly, there were and are sooo many people rallying around me and my family during all this...sending cards, flowers, balloons, movie gift certificates, books, crossword puzzles, and most importantly PRAYING US THROUGH all of this.  To be honest, I was really distant from God through all of this.  I was angry that I was sooo sick, and I didn't even have the energy to pray for myself at times, but I know that there were so many people praying on my behalf and God heard your prayers.  So thank you thank you thank you.  A thousand thank you's would never be enough.

I will try to finish up this series by filling in the gaps from this point (which would be the end of 2005 until now) in a few posts and then catch everyone up on how I'm doing NOW in 2012...

Thanks for taking this journey with me.  I would love to know if you have questions for me, comments, or ways that I can pray for YOU.....thanks to all who have left comments on my blog or on Facebook.  I really love hearing from you!!!

Again, Matt and I are claiming:  


Ephesians 3:20-21
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,  to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

No comments: