Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Series of Unfortunate Events: Chapter 2: Stool Samples 101

This is my journey.  If you are new and want to get caught up on Chapter 1: Sick in NYC, click here.

Warning:  The next few posts might gross you out.  Just saying.

That next week I tried to maintain my normal schedule—still going to classes (I was afraid I’d get behind), spending time with friends, and studying for a test that I had on Thursday of that week in my New Testament class.  I actually collected the stool samples in a plastic bowl from our kitchen and nearly threw up every time.  I mean seriously.  What 19-year-old wants to do that?  Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.  Then, I had to get the poop (I use that term relatively because it sure did not resemble normal poop) in to the tiny little containers that are about the size of a pill bottle.  No simple task.  It was stressful and disgusting.  I hated every minute of it.  Sharing a bathroom with 3 others and doing all that was just traumatic…I shiver just thinking about it.

By Friday I took all 5 days worth of poop back to the doctor’s office in the little containers inside a brown paper lunch sack.  That was all I had.  Great plan right?  I can only imagine what people passing me on the street thought was inside that bag.  How shocked would they be?!? 

 Anyhow...I had become weaker and weaker, not really eating anything all weekend or all week, and if I did, I did not keep it in me for long (if you get my drift).  Again, because I did not have cash, I walked the five looooooooong blocks back to the doctor’s office and was absolutely spent by the time I got there.  I could hardly catch my breath.  I was so tired that by the time I dropped off my stool samples (gladly giving them to someone else to deal with so I didn’t have to have them in my possession a minute longer), I had to sit in the waiting room and just catch my breath.  So pathetic.

When I finally decided I had re-gained enough strength to walk “home,” I headed out on to the street and a nurse came running out of the clinic calling my name. (I wasn't even aware that anyone knew who I was...remember this place was like the DMV--I was just a number to them). 

 She said that a doctor wanted to see me immediately.  All I know or can think of is that they took one look at me when I dropped off my "poop" and knew that I needed medical help immediately!!!  So, even though there were about 15-20 people waiting in the lobby ahead of me (again it was seriously a "take a number" kinda place), the nurse got me right in to see a doctor in a real traditional room with a bed--completely unlike the original room I had been in--so at least I could lay down.  The nurse checked my vitals and began writing all kinds of things down.  The doctor flew into the room, and all I could think was that I was in heaven:  
#1.  I was laying down.  
#2 A doctor was going to finally help me
#3 I didn’t have to worry about myself anymore. Hallelujah!  

The doctor explained to me that they had my blood work back from Monday when I had come in (they tested me for all kinds of things that day) and then they took some more blood right then and they immediately ran it to compare to my previous tests.  Two doctors (seriously? I couldn't even get ONE to see me earlier in the week...don't get me started) were in the room reviewing my chart and the little bits of information that they had on me.  It seemed like they were talking a mile a minute—my brain could just not keep up.  I kept hearing things like “low hemoglobin levels, more labs, blood transfusion, hospital,” etc.  Basically they were talking about just how sick I was and I felt like saying, “I’VE BEEN TRYING TO TELL YOU PEOPLE THAT FOR OVER A WEEK!!!!  SHEESHH!!!!!” 

Finally, they informed me that I needed a blood transfusion immediately and that they could transfer me to NYU to the closest hospital by ambulance.  This came as a total shock to me, because even with as sick as I was, I must have though that they would just prescribe me some pill and I would be on my way.  I had no desire to go to a hospital, so I began to panic a little bit.  I knew I needed to call home and inform my parents....

More to come...

No comments: