So, like I said in Chapter 14, I had my colonoscopy on Christmas Eve because my doctor is wonderfully sacrificial and knew it needed to be done ASAP!
I went home that day with a whopping prescription for 40 mg of Prednisone daily (FYI: that's a lot of Prednisone!!!!) and another drug called Apriso. If you're not familiar with Prednisone, count yourself lucky. It's like a wonderfully awful drug. It's a steroid to be exact. Somehow it just does the trick and instantly helps with the inflammation that UC sufferers are stricken with. So that is the WONDERFUL part.
It does have AWFUL side effects though. Oh the side effects!!! (Check out this post that I wrote this past June 2012) that talks about the side effects of prednisone. If you click that link, remember that this was after I had been on Prednisone much longer).
So back to the story...I go home, and it's Christmas time. I am so weak, but I am on Prednisone. My stomach immediately is calmed, I quit pooping outrageous amounts--SCORE! And the amazing thing about Prednisone is that you have ALL this pent-up energy....which is exactly what I have NOT had for the past few months, so it's just sitting in you, and I remember thinking "what should I do first?" That is kind of the way my brain works when I'm on that stuff. I wish I could clone myself and be in about 14 places at once--grading papers, cleaning, watching tv, going for a run, playing with Bailey, etc. It's like you become a person with attention deficit disorder because focusing on any ONE activity is just too much. But when you've been laid up sick for that long, this is a welcomed change, and I was just grateful.
I had Christmas break to rest up and thankfully felt good enough to go back to work (armed with lots of snacks....that darn Prednisone made me soo hungry. I had missed so many meals that I thought I had a few snacks coming my way).
So the idea behind the steroids is that you're on them to reduce the inflammation well enough that you can go on a drug that will maintain your "remission" (AKA-lack of flare-up), which is the other drug I was taking--Apriso. I took 4 pills of Apriso each day that were supposed to keep my symptoms in check.
This set-up worked for a while...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment