Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blogging Time-In: Road-Trip with My Parents

Thursday morning, my parents and I left for the big city of Burt, Iowa where my grandma and extended family live.  Mapquest says it is 513 miles and 8 hours and 34 minutes.  Here's what my view looked like while we traveled:
Pilot and co-pilot

We made pretty good time traveling. Once you hit Iowa, here's the scenery:






Some people don't have an appreciation for the Midwest, but I really love it.  I was trying to spot some "iconic" farms to capture what Iowa really looks like, but I was usually doing this: 


 Dad always does most of the driving...

And mom does a lot of navigating (AKA-playing on her phone):


Meanwhile, I'm in the back, and when I was awake I also worked on some Ken-Ken puzzles--my newest addiction while I am unemployed:

If you want a free site where you can get more of these puzzles (which I think would be great for all you teachers in the classroom too!!!!), you can go to:  http://krazydad.com/inkies/ 

Road trips are always fun with my parents because there is lots of laughter (dad gets a looooot of help from his back-seat drivers) which make for some interesting conversations.  We can just chat and chat....we do a lot of family of origin and personality analysis, as well as just joking and laughing!!

Plus, they always bring lots of snacks--this trip you can tell my mom picked out the snacks--almost ALL chocolate!! :)  Gotta love it!  But, if she knows what kind of soda you like, she'll pack that for you too!  She is always so good to make up food ahead of time to take up to my grandma's house.  It's getting harder and harder for her to cook, so mom just brings a cooler and packs up some meals.  Those meals are always a HIT!!!!!

Once we got to Burt, we were able to spend time with my grandma, uncle, aunt, and cousins.  Our favorite thing to do is play games.  My cousin, Shawna, caught on to the marble game especially quick (she is 12 years-old and a math whiz--seriously!!!)... She killed more people in the marble game than anyone else, and we dominated as a team!!! :)

We were able to take my grandma out to eat on Friday, get her oxygen tanks re-filled, and get her a flu shot all in one trip!  I wish we were around to help her out more, but it was nice to be able to do this for her while we were there!  It was a nice outting, and we really enjoyed our time with her!  She is a sassy, competitive, spunky, independent lady....I'm proud that people think we have similar personalities...

She even got to read my blog on the I-Pad with a little help from my mom....she read the first 9 chapters!  I was impressed....some of those are the nastiest chapters and she was not scared off or offended in the least!  She always comments on how awful she feels that I'm so sick--such a loyal grandma.  When we left she said, "It just isn't fair that you're so sick."  I agree, Grandma!!!






In the mornings before we head up to grandma's from the hotel, we like to stop by the Christian bookstore...they have the best flavored coffee and soooooooooo many different flavors!!!  Seriously, so good!!  We went on Friday and Saturday mornings!

It was a great visit and so fun to see family that we had not seen in a long time.  I think about the legacy that my grandma left...she and my grandpa had 7 kids, 5 of who married, so now there are 13 grandchildren (ranging in age from 35 to 12), 4 grandchildren in-law, and 5 great grandchildren!!!  What an amazing woman!!!  It's always fun to hear her re-tell stories from the past and see her love on her family.  I love you, grandma!!!

We then went to visit my dad's brother Bob and my Aunt Kathy in Ankeny, Iowa.  We enjoyed our time with them going to church on Saturday night, going out for Mexican afterwards, having pie back at their house and more marble game once we arrived at their house!  My uncle is one of the best story-tellers I know...he told a story (that they said absolutely HAD to remain a secret) that was literally the funniest story I've ever heard.  I laughed so hard that I cried and my belly hurt from laughing.  They are the best!!  We just love them, and they are such dear people and so supportive as I have gone through illness after illness.  My uncle is an inspiration as he has had many health problems of his own to deal with (and is and has been on prednisone), so he understands me in a way that many others do not.  

Of course because we were up north, we had to eat a little of this for MK:

 And on the drive home, we saw a car at a gas station with this lovely sign on the side of the car:
We stayed clear of THAT car and THAT lady...for sure!
  Mom also read us some snippets from this book, and we all found out that we have Type A personalities (shocking?!?!). I can't wait to read more after I finish Boundaries...one book at a time!

And I did a little more of this on the way home:

It was a GREAT trip! It was GREAT to get away and be with my family, but I am glad to be home.  I missed my husband and puppy so much!!!  MK knows me so well...the house was spotless when I came home and the yard looks great! I'm blessed!!!  How can you not love and miss these faces:




Thanks for a great trip, Mom and Dad!! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your trip sounds amazing! I love grandparents! They are such blessings!!

Kristin's Chronicles said...

It was so nice to be able to get away and have the freedom to travel!!!! There is something refreshing about that...plus, my grandma is so dear to my heart, and I pray that she stays healthy through the winter. She tends to get sick during the winter and that always scares me because it gets harder and harder for her to fight off bugs that she catches!

Miss you, Alana! Thanks for reading! You're a faithful reader! :-)