Monday, February 6, 2017

Chapter 23: 2013 to 2016: The Uneventful Health Years

So, there have been no blog posts for the past 3 or 4 years about my health.  It's truly been uneventful, and it really has been wonderful. So refreshing!

2013 was the year I got to carry Will, and it was a gift.
2014 Will was born, and we learned to be parents and a family of three.
2015 and 2016 were just so fun because Will is a joy.
God has used this little boy in our lives to teach us so so so much about our relationship with Him as our heavenly Father, and we are humbled that we've been entrusted with such a great gift.
Parenting is the best, especially with Matt as my amazing partner!
There has been so much healing physically, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally in the past few years, and I'm so thankful.

As I reflect on these last three years, I attribute so much of my improved health and wellness to a variety of factors. I'm thankful that God has been so faithful in each way to bring healing in my life...

1.  Spiritually
- God has been doing work in my heart, helping me find my identity in Christ and me giving up all illusions of being in control, independent, or strong.  I've just been broken in the best possible ways.
- Surrendering that I am just not awesome.
- God has provided me the most amazing tribe of friends and family that have just rallied around me completely. Community is such a GIFT.
- Prayer. So. Much. Prayer. Thank you all for your prayers for me and with me over all these years. 
 2. Physically
- Leaving my teaching job, which reduced stress and eliminated the inundation of germs that I was picking up every single day in my classroom.
- Finding a good balance of exercise, healthier eating, and saying "no" to some good things so I can rest and be able to say "yes" to even better things. Moderation and margin have been key.

- Staying home with Will .... just the best job ever and with much much less stress than teaching.
- In 2014, I began taking Plexus products....specifically the Triplex (Slim, ProBio5, BioCleanse, and X-Factor). I cannot say enough about what these products have done to boost up my immune system and how they have helped my gut health. It's AMAZING the difference these products have provided me with.

3. Emotionally
- God has helped me to set some boundaries, allowing me freedom to say "no" to what I need to let go of so that I can say "yes" to His best.
- Time.  Maturity does happen over time, and I can see progress in my thought life and habits that have contributed to my overall well-being. I'm humbled and thankful.
- Having a child just puts things that are really important into perspective.  It's amazing how much God has taught me through Will.
- I just have an amazing support system in my hubby, parents and family, friends, community, neighbors, etc.  Sooooo blessed.

God is so good.
Even as he walks with me into the next storm, He is good.j

Over the last month, I have had a huge flare up.  Very reminiscent of years past:  frequent trips to the bathroom, weight and blood loss, extreme fatigue, horrible abdominal pain, and plenty of stubbornness on my part that I didn't need medical intervention since I've felt so well for so long.  

Then, I finally called my doctor, and again the routine was familiar: blood work, stool studies, Prednisone (steroids),  another drug in addition to the steroids to help with inflammation, and I will be having my 8th scope tomorrow morning at 10:00.

My doctor is so thorough and wants to figure out what brought on this flare so suddenly, and he assured me that a change in diet (like Whole 30) did not cause this, which was what I had been fearful of.  (It may not have helped once the flare began because of ALL the roughage, but he was actually very much in favor of Whole 30).  Thankful that he listens and is supportive of overall health and wellness.

There are a few possibilities for what could have caused my flare up....a build-up of antibodies over time to my Remicade infusion treatments or I could possibly have an infection that is mimicking the symptoms of a flare (which I am at an increased risk of because the medications I take lower my body's natural immune system).  Regardless, we are waiting on labs and pathology reports after the biopsies they will take tomorrow to make any more decisions.

I feel like I have had the most faithful encouragers, prayer warriors, and supporters, so I'm thanking you in advance for standing in the gap for me again. I'm asking you to pray for healing from this flare (the steroids are finally kicking in thankfully!), that I will be able to sleep and not battle anxiety like I have in years past, for a successful scope tomorrow and for wisdom for my doctor in making decisions about my treatment plan going forward.

And as always....THANKS FRIENDS AND FAMILY that have poured your love, support, and encouragement over us.  Helping with Will, sending texts and cards, helping with meals, lending a listening ear, giving great counsel and speaking Truth.  Pray for Matt, Will, and my parents because I know it is hard for them to see me like this, and I hate that.  But God is and has been so faithful.  Xoxo!


Kristin

And this guy always brings a smile to my face regardless of how I feel....I'll leave you with these!

   As Will reminds me often: "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge.  He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18:2

No comments: