I spent a semester laying low at home in Hampton--healing, resting, staying warm because it was going into the winter and that was one of the doctor's biggest concerns (I hit the tanning bed every week--oops--I now know better about that one but golly it was sooo relaxing too!!!), as well as just re-gaining my strength and energy. I remember this time of life really messing with my head and emotions. I was feeling so icky that I really didn't want to talk to too many people at first. It took me a while to relationally "re-enter" the world. It felt like it took more energy to be perky and alert, so instead I withdrew sometimes and just stayed quiet.
I did have to go back to the doctor weekly to check those pesky hemoglobin levels, and I was taking folic acid and iron to prevent anemia and fatigue and to build back up my immune system. Overall, I did seem to make progress as time went on.
I had soo many people from all over the world praying for me through this process (I have another post about that coming up later), and I was so thankful my prayer had been answered to get to go home finally. People were so kind to send cards, balloons, flowers, you name it. I had friends giving me movie gift certificates, crossword puzzle and Sudoku books, knitting needles and yarn, you name it! People knew I couldn't "just sit" at home for a semester...they know me!
At the hospital I was a nasty mess...let's be honest, I couldn't control my bowels, I didn't shower but maybe once or twice in that week (ewww) because I didn't have enough energy, and I was feeling so cruddy I only wanted my parents around me so I could just be ME--crabby when I wanted to be, needy when I wanted to be, whiny when I needed to be, etc. I just wasn't ready for my boyfriend to see me that way. (I don't like people seeing me when I'm sick--it's not pretty)...
Once I came home though, it was great to have Matt around each weekend. I remember he carried me up and down the stairs so that I could go down to the basement because I just didn't have the strength. What a sweetheart. He was so patient with my ever-changing moods.....he would be the first to tell you that I was no longer the "fun-loving" girl he met at camp that summer. This was a
Some people would think it would be awful to move home and live with their parents. Those people don't have MY parents. I sure did not see it that way AT ALL. I had just been through the most traumatic experience of my life, and I was so thankful to be at home and just be able to hole up and get better at my own pace. We played lots of cards, watched movies, read books, did Sudoku (those had just come out and were addictive), worked on puzzles, watched every episode of Laguna Beach which had also just come out, and I checked Facebook often (which I had also just recently gotten addicted to). As I got better, I would go to school and have lunch with my dad or my mom just to "get out" for an activity....but for the most part, I was content to stay at home and just rest. My body must have needed it.
I have to give Kudos to my mom--at first it was like having a newborn at home again. When I slept, she slept. She fed me, she helped me take showers and blow dry my hair, and just made my life easier by taking on all the burdens of cooking and cleaning for me.... What a stud!!!!!!!!
I don't think I really wanted to go back to school after that semester was over. It was such a special time in my life where I bonded with both my parents as well as Matt, and they really got to know him too. It's a very special time in my life that I'm thankful for. Wouldn't have traded that for anything!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment