So the entire first day I was at the University of Iowa hospital I was actually getting worse and worse because we had no answers. Because of my ongoing GI issues, they were only allowing me to have liquids, so it had been over 5 days since I had eaten anything substantial meal!
That first night in the hospital is completely a blur. I honestly thought I was going to die before
they figured out what was wrong! What I
do remember was that I had a RAGING fever of 104 degrees, and I was practically
hallucinating. It was terrifying. They packed me in ice and I was still so
uncomfortable that I could not get any sleep.
My breathing was extremely labored because my hemoglobin level was so
low and I was so weak, so breathing was very taxing—almost like I couldn’t catch
my breath.
It was also at this point in the night that they decided to
go ahead and transfuse me in my “sleep”—ha! (I wasn’t getting any sleep). Because my hemoglobin level was now at 5,
there were no questions about it. It
appeared that this was our only option, so even though it was slightly scary,
they got me all hooked up and all systems were go. It was kinda weird seeing someone else’s
blood go in me, but if it would make me feel better, I was ALL for it! This all happened around 10:00 at night, and
it was only supposed to take a little while, so I was just supposed to
rest. Riiiiight.
Not 10 minutes later, my entire team of doctors came running
into my room, which really alarmed my mom and I because we never saw them all
together. They stopped my transfusion
immediately and explained to us that they had found some interesting things in
my blood work from that day. Apparently
when I had a normal temperature and they drew blood, my cells acted one
way. When they took my blood when I had
a raging fever, the cells acted completely differently…ok? So what did this
mean? That’s what we wanted to know. I
do not really remember the entire conversation but I do know this was the first
time that the term “auto-immune” was used to describe my body. My body does not always respond the way it is supposed to...
Through lab work, they also found out that I had tested
positive for the Epstein Bar virus(AKA: mono).
Grrrrreat. In a normal body, the
cells would attack the mono virus, but because my body seemed to be responding in an
auto-immune fashion, my body actually began attacking my OWN blood cells, which then just weakened my system even more. They stopped the blood transfusion because if
they had given me more blood, there just would have been a BIGGER
battle among the blood cells because my body would reject them and see them as a foreign BAD substance, causing even MORE trauma to my already
weak body. Not good. I didn’t really need blood they told me—they
needed to find a way to stop my body from reacting incorrectly.
So basically….and I don’t understand the science behind it, but
my doctors found out that my body would respond properly if my IV fluids were
warmed up. You heard me right--warmed up! They wheeled in a contraption
that warmed up my IV fluids. Are you kidding me?
If you’re anything like me, you probably didn’t see THAT one
coming did you....did it work you ask? More to come on that....
2 comments:
K- I'm really enjoying reading your story. I wait for each new installment! I hope this is giving you the 'therapy' you were seeking. I think it is great you are sharing this so openly.
Christie
Christie, Thanks for reading it and taking this journey with me. I'm sure ya'll can relate (even above and beyond what my experience is).
It is definitely helping me to process through it, which I have never given myself permission to do before.
It's also helping me to see the hand of God throughout the situation, which in the midst of hard times, is sometimes much tougher to do.
Post a Comment