Thursday, November 29, 2012

All I Want for Christmas

It's taken me forever to write this post.
It's really hard to write about, but it's constantly on my heart.
We want a baby.
Unfortunately the desire to have a baby hit once I had UC.

My doctor has explained to us that I can only get pregnant when my UC is in remission.  Remission means an extended period of time where my body does not have flare-up.  I'm not sure how long this period of time needs to be; I just know I have NOT achieved it because I KEEP HAVING FLARE-UPS.

If my body is not in remission that would be WORST-CASE scenario for the baby....when I have a flare-up, my body does not retain or digest nutrients properly and responds in an auto-immune fashion.  It's the reason that I lose so much weight...it's like my food just goes right through me. Flare-ups can cause birth defects and more abnormalities--things that we want to avoid by taking the necessary precautions and waiting until I am healthy enough to carry a baby.

If I did get pregnant, my doctors would give me whatever meds necessary (Remicade, steroids, etc) to keep my body most healthy to carry a baby....while a normal person would be advised against these medications, they would be strongly recommended for me because the only way to produce a healthy baby is to have a healthy momma.  

So, all I want for Christmas is a baby, but it'll definitely have to be in God's timing....again, we find ourselves in God's waiting room, which is an awfully tough place to be, but I know lots of you are there with me waiting on whatever God has in store for you as well.  We are not alone as the body of believers.  I find great strength in that community.

I know we'd appreciate your prayers.

For now, she'll just have to be my baby!

2 comments:

Katie and Bret said...

Waiting is no fun. But being in God's will is the best place to be. Praying for your health and that you would have abounding peace as you wait on the mighty hand of God!

Kristin's Chronicles said...

Thanks Katie! We are definitely seeking God's will and praying for peace as we wait. :-)