Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sleep and rest: Are they the same?!?

In re-reading so many of my recent posts, I've found myself writing an awful lot about rest. Quite frankly I feel like my body is going through a period where I am resting after so much stress and trauma on my body.

In the last few years, I have spent months and months on powerful drugs that have had me running full steam and not sleeping well. I just didn't realize the toll that the lack of sleep and the going, going, going (especially while ill) was taking on my body.

I've never been one to take naps--honestly, I feel like I wake up grumpier and groggier than before the nap. But actually, I have taken MANY MANY naps since I quit my teaching job.

Even in my first counseling session, my counselor sensed this about me without me ever saying "I hate napping." She told me I needed to nap and that--get this--THAT IT WAS OK!!! Wow. I guess I needed permission from someone I didn't even know...crazy? Maybe?

As good as a nap is (and believe me, the 3+ hour-long one I took yesterday), I think that the real rest that has gotten me through lately has been resting in Christ. Realizing that His burden is light, and that He will provide. I don't think I've ever listened to or clung to God's Word like I have since I quit my job. When the path is unclear, trust is required! Prayers are flowing (from me and many others) and my listening ears are activated and ready for Him to respond!

So, for now even though I don't necessarily know exactly what the next few weeks, months, years will bring, I'll just rest in Him, knowing that He doesn't make mistakes and already knows what's in our future.

For now, I'll take a lesson from Bailey, and just REST.

No comments: