Sunday, July 12, 2009

Random thoughts of the day

I've had some good conversations with people lately about change......how people change, circumstances change, passions and interests change, friendships change.

Sometimes it's really tough. For example, I've moved a decent amount of times, and by now I just know that my friendships with the people that I've moved away from will change. We aren't together to "do life" together anymore--now, we talk on the phone, email, and visit once in a while to catch each other up on life. It's definitely not ideal, but it's the way it is. But as with change, new friends are made, and so I am given the chance to "do life" with a new set of people and therefore my relationships grow and evolve. I feel blessed to have so many friends. I just wish they didn't live all over the world...distance makes the heart grow fonder though, right?

Sometimes it's a really good thing. Families change. This is definitely interesting to me, as I've seen my family change from 2 different perspectives: the little sister and the new wife. Allow me to explain....as a younger sister, it's quite interesting to see how your family changes even though YOU don't change when an older sibling gets married. Please hear me--it was good change. I added a brother-in-law, my sister, found her soul mate, that kind of thing. But it did change our family. Then they had a baby and that changed everything too--for the better. He's one of the best things to happen to our family. (Good work, Chris and Wendi!!!!!!!) Then, MK and I got together....boy did I learn even more about this. Yes, some of the reminiscent childhood rituals are gone because now there are new people in the family and things can't stay "the way they used to be," but I would be foolish if I didn't also list all of the millions of ways that these men have made our families better. Complete really. Other than children (and hopefully a dog for us one day :)), no one else will join the Nervig clan. That's pretty sacred and really cool to think about. So change can be awesome as in this case.

Sometimes I just really resist change, especially when I can't control it. I haven't really sorted out all my thoughts on this yet...I guess I'm just thinking about random changes. For example, facebook has provided a way to keep in touch with people that I have known for years, since I was little. Without it, there is no way I would have even a small understanding of what people that I knew in 3rd grade are up to these days. And really, it's only a small glimpse. Only a picture of what their life is like. But sometimes, it's odd to see how people have changed (neither in a good nor a bad way)....I just have them frozen in my mind at the age when I was last friends with them. Everyone knows what I'm talking about--you haven't seen someone for like 15 years, so you remember how they were then. It's hard to shake those memories and move on to who they are now. To me, those girls from 3rd grade are still Barbie-loving, softball playing girls, not women who have jobs, kids, husbands, and careers! I can't wrap my head around it. It's just interesting.

In closing, here's what I've decided. These aren't set in stone, just some take-away points to chew on:

Change is inevitable.
Change can be hard or easy, depending on the situation.
Our attitude has a lot to do with how we view change.
Sometimes a change can be the best thing for everyone; sometimes it's the worst.
Sometimes people, circumstances, etc. change even though we don't want them to and that's OK.

What do you think? Does anyone else think about stuff like this? Does it resonate with you? What are your thoughts?

No comments: