Monday, July 27, 2009

Okoboji, how I miss thee


I thought I would do a better job of updating each day on vacation, but we were too busy for the internet, blogs, or facebook. If you know me, you know that that means I must have been pretty well distracted because I love facebook/blogging/emailing/etc.

Anyhow, here's a quick recap of the rest of vacation:

Friday:
Left Mt. Horeb and arrived in Okoboji around 4:00. It was a fun reunion to have all the Kleppes and my parents all together--the first time since our wedding. We had a great dinner at the Pizza Ranch (just so that I could play Pac Man--if you know me, you know I love that arcade game, bu it's hard to find!!!!! Anyhow, turns out they got rid of it. Total let down, but I didn't let it stop me...fun was still had by all).

Saturday:
The highlight of Saturday was an intense game of mini-golf. Anytime you play something with the Kleppes, you are guaranteed that there will be competition, and this was no exception. We played in partners. Bob & Becky, Dick & Connie, MK & I, and Ryan & Tyler. It was pretty intense throughout all 18 holes. There were lots of hole-in-ones which made for excitement, but it came down to the last hole..................................................Tie between Dick & Connie and MK & I. Next time we'll win it all.

Sunday:
It was great to attend chapel at camp, worship, and enjoy the breakfast brunch. It really felt like we were back at camp, and it was so fun to see so many people from the past. That afternoon the guys went golfing (Round #1) and us girls just chilled, hung out, and played games. I think we even laid out by the lake for a while. The weather was gorgeous, and the 80 degree weather was such a nice break from the high heat and humidity of Arkansas.

Monday:
I think this was the first day that we took out our friend's boat. We have these great friends who are retired and have all of these "toys" for when their kids come to visit. They say they rarely use the boat, so they were eager for us to enjoy it....enjoy it we did. They even had a new tube for us to use that they thought we would really enjoy. Now this is no ordinary tube. You need to picture a GIGANTIC 3-person mega-tube. I would say it was about 4 feet wide and 4 feet long...I don't know, just a guess. But it fits 3 people. We rode that thing for hours. We had so many great laughs and some UNBELIEVABLE tumbles. Wow. When you get that much weight on a tube and that much g-force around those curves, the result is just crazy. We walked away from that day with a few bumps, as well as sore muscles that we hadn't felt in a while!!!

I think the guys golfed again that night (Round #2???), but I really can't remember.

Tuesday:
We took the boat out again with more people and had even more laughs. I will never forget MK's parents getting on the tube...oh the laughs we had. We also skied this day, and everyone got up that wanted to. I had forgotten how much I loved water skiing. Such a rush.

We also went out for dinner this night to the Dry Dock, which was the first restaurant that MK and I went to when we were dating. It was so special to be back in the place where we met on our 2nd anniversary and with such people. It was a really fun night.

Wednesday:
This would have been Day #3 that we went boating, tubing, and skiing. We were finally able to take MK's youngest brother Tyler with us, so it was new to him, and we got all 3 boys on the tube at once. That was one of my favorite memories watching those three wackos back there together. :)

We were also able to spend some time with a good friend of ours that afternoon/evening. He will be leaving to teach overseas in a few weeks, so it was the last time to see him before he left and it was a blessing. It was so good to see you, Driver. We all went mini-golfing again and then grilled burgers and hot dogs. The night was rounded out with a great game of Thumper. Good laughs and good memories.

Thursday:
MK, his brothers, and dad found a course that had a flat fee for as much golf as you could play in one day (Round #3 I think?). Needless to say, they left early that morning and played 36 holes of golf before coming home. I think they really enjoyed playing together, and it was a good deal that they couldn't pass up.

Becky, my mom, and I had a girls day out...we slept in, had breakfast at Perkins, and then got aqua massages (because the boating, tubing, and skiing had left us soooooo sore!!!). If you've ever seen the aqua massage tube-thingies at a mall or salon, they look kinda hokey, but we REALLY enjoyed ours. It felt so good. It's basically a jet of warm water that runs up and down the length of your body...you don't get wet; it's just like sitting in front of a jet in a hot tub, but the jet moves around to give you a great massage. It was FANTASTIC. Such a treat.

Friday:
Our same friends that allowed us to use their boat, called to let us know that their jet ski was back from the shop. We jumped on the offer to go over and use it! SOOO fun!!! Let me tell you...I guess I love the water more than I ever knew. It was so fun!!!! We are so grateful for their generosity in letting us use their toys--what a blast!!


Saturday:
The last day of vacation is never fun. It felt like we had just gotten there as we were packing up the car. Wow! The time just flew...after hanging out for a bit, we grabbed a bite to eat with everyone for lunch and then left around 1:00. We made it home around midnight that night. Were we ever wiped!?!? Uff da!



OK, those are the highlights. Just being there all together was so fun...it's hard to include all the little things that made the trip so fun. Some things we did more than one day, so it's hard to know where they fit in, but some of my other fond memories are:

  • endless Yahtzee games
  • canoeing out to the buoy with mom and Becky (sorry I wasn't as good at steering as I thought--haha!!)
  • eating donuts down on the dock and watching the boats
  • going to Arnold's Park for a nutty bar (for all you non-Iowans...the picture at the top overlooks Arnold's Park, which is a small amusement park that lots of tourists visit...they have the best homemade nutty bars--ice cream, chocolate, and peanuts--ever!!!)
  • going to the Perk, eating cinnamon scones......chatting, playing games, and just being together...
  • playing Settlers of Catan with partners...I never won a single game, but it was still really fun!!!
  • watching everyone (especially Bob) laugh at the boys on the tube...I laughed so hard a few times that I thought I would cry!
  • playing Thumper and Progressive Rummy....again, laughing and laughing and laughing
  • eating SUPER well. Thanks guys for grilling so many times...there's something about being at camp, grilling over a charcoal grill, overlooking the lake, and eating a pork chop/hamburger/chicken breast/hot dog.......SOOOOOOO good!!!
  • playing carpet ball, ping pong, and pool in the game room
SO MANY PRICELESS MEMORIES. THANKS TO THE KLEPPES AND NERVIGS FOR MEETING US THERE AND BEING WITH US. WE HAD SUCH A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!! WHAT DO YOU SAY WE MAKE IT AN ANNUAL THING??? :)

2 comments:

Mom said...

How about that "crumpled paper" game? WE had a few laughs with that one as well! It was a wonderfully fun, busy, relaxing kind of week! It's well worth doing again, don't you think? I love making memories with family--what a gift! Love you guys and again, thank you for allowing us to join you for the week!

Kristin's Chronicles said...

Who could forget the infamous crumpled paper game??? That was THE best, and we've played some pretty good games, so you know it must have been good....rolling on the floor laughing good, right? :)