Sunday, April 7, 2013

2013 Goals: Review #4--Fitness

Most of you already know I'm doing a series on our goals for 2013--just checking in to see how we're doing, or we'll get to 2014 and be sorely disappointed...


Click here for a look back on our financial review...
Click here for a look back on our reading goals for 2013 and how we've done so far...

Click here for a window into our world on how we're doing to grow in our faith...

2013 has actually been a good year for the Kleppes as far as health, nutrition, and fitness go.

In December, when I had a flare, I gave up soda which was a huge deal for me. I gave up soda from December 17, 2012 until March 30, 2013. Probably the longest I've ever gone without Mountain Dew in years. It felt good and got easier as I went on. I also decided at that point to give up gluten, because when everyone gives you suggestions (even well-meaning people), it gets old explaining that I don't have Celiac, but UC. Well they all wore me down, I caved, and gave up gluten during January and February.  It didn't help too much from what I could tell, but I'm not discounting it altogether.

Then in January, MK threw out the idea of running the Bentonville half marathon in April. We had several months to train, so it seemed like a good way to keep us accountable to running. Initially I was only signed up for the 5K but those steroids give you a ridiculous amount of energy, so I changed over to the half and away we went. We ran 4 times a week to train and ran a couple 5K's and an 8K to prep for the race.  For MK, running and eating well go hand in hand. He really does a good job of eating well and using portion control when he splurges. We both also upped our intake of water daily and started adding more fruits and veggies to our diet (mostly through smoothies).  This was not about weight loss (although we would have been fine with that); it was about getting fit and FEELING good.

Yesterday was the big day. The race started at 7:00am. Ugh! It. Was. Early.

It really went well...there were fans everywhere cheering people on and my parents found 3 spots to cheer us on with a poster that said, "TEAM KLEPPE!!!!" Made. My. Day.

2 hours and 33 minutes later we crossed the finish line!!! It felt great to finish!

MK is already talking about his next race.
Me? I'm done racing for a while. Why?? My knees hate me today.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: