Up until this point in my life, I have never really thought about how huge hospitals like the Mayo Clinic operate. Here are some interesting statistics I found today.
In 2011, there were:
-2,062 staff physicians and scientists
-2,942 fellows, residents, and students
-28,501 hospital and clinic staff
-Total staff: 35,505!!!!!! Wow!!!
Every year, the Mayo clinic treats more than 1,000,000 patients from all 50 states and more than 150 countries!! Wow!!!
(Check it out for yourself at: http://www.mayoclinic.org/about/facts.html)
Anyhow, you wonder how an operation like that can run efficiently, but whenever we have been there, we have always gotten such great service, and every person we talk to that has been to the Mayo clinic has said the same thing.
But it is no small feat to get ready to go. I thought getting in was the hard part! Once I had a doctor's recommendation, I was scheduling an appointment with a northern-accented sweet little lady within the next few days!! That's how great they were. And not only that, but they were more then willing to coordinate it with my mom's itinerary as well! How great!?
Anyhow, getting my medical records has proven to be the toughest part (and even at that, it really wasn't that bad). It's just that when you've had procedures done at 4 different hospitals and been to 3 different clinics to see doctors, it takes a while to track down all those records!!!! I am happy to report that I now have all my records! Yay! This weekend I also filled out all my new patient paperwork online and submitted everything!
1 week from today!
My bags are practically already packed! Ha!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Praying for good, helpful news from Mayo!
Reading this post from before your Mayo experience through the posts at while at Mayo are such a relief to me. I'm glad you were able to see the doctors all in one place and that they were able to talk about a care plan together with each other and you (it's pretty refreshing to know the doctors actually TALK to each other at Mayo, isn't it?!). It sounds like you were able to speak with the first doctor about multiple areas of your health and well-being for a long length of time, which was my experience as well, and I was praying for it to be the same with you. I'm glad your time there was productive for both you and your mom and I pray that your treatment continues to be successful and you keep feeding and healing your spirit while letting the medication heal your body. I'm so thankful that we'll be living close together soon so we can talk about this kind of stuff in person!
Post a Comment