Monday, April 8, 2013

Schooling: Homeschooling, Christian, or Public School?

School choice.  It's a huge decision with huge consequences....but it is just that: 

A CHOICE!




I have read so many posts and seen so many pictures on facebook and other blogs that I thought as well throw in my two cents because it's a topic I'm somewhat passionate about. 




Two things to always keep in mind as you are reading this:


  • It's a choice--that means that what YOU choose, might not be what everyone else chooses, including your friends, family, families you work with or go to church with.  And that's OK!

  • There are pros and cons to ALL THREE!  More to come on this one...


(Background:  So, it's no shocker that I grew up in a family of educators.  My dad worked in public school for almost 40 years as a teacher, coach, counselor, elementary & junior high & high school principal, and finished out his career as a superintendent. My mom has worked in several support roles--special education, kindergarten paraprofessional, as well as special assistant to my dad (a non-paid job that included Friday night date nights at high school basketball games while my dad supervised. That's real love right there).   My sister taught middle school Language Arts.  I have an aunt that was a vocal music teacher and another aunt who is a food service director back in Iowa.  I married into a family where both my inlaws are teachers, as well as a brother-in-law who teaches elementary PE.  On top of that, I taught for 4 years.
As most kids would say that most of their early memories revolve around school, I would agree.  While we were "church rats" (you know, the last people to leave that cleaned up and locked up on Sunday afternoons), we were also "school rats"--we were there A LOT!  I loved it though.)
So....when conversations start going round and round about what to do with kids, I have rarely seen a conversation get heated.  Most of the time, it's all because everyone cares about kids.  What I think starts to hurt feeling or step on toes, is when one party/group thinks that their way to care about kids trumps everyone else's way to care about kids.  They know how to do it better.  And that's that.
Again, this is my blog, so you are bound to read some of my opinions, but I do have a K-8 Teaching license and have spent my fair share of time in the classroom so I at least feel like I have some facts to back them up.
When I think about education, I think about creating well-rounded children--academically, physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc.  Luke 2:52 says, "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man."  That should be our goal too right?
So let's take a peek into each one. Obviously I'm going to leave things out and my opinion will differ from yours, so I apologize if I step on your toes.  I'm not trying to.  If I've left something out, just leave a comment/message, and I'd be happy to discuss it with you at some point...
1) Homeschooling
You have the opportunity to spend time with your child.  What a gift!  You are given the gift of time.  Schooling is expedited because you do not have a classroom of 30 students; just your own kids.  You are able to control what you teach and how you teach it.  It's your platform.  You are able to do experiments and projects that might otherwise be impossible because you have the flexibility of time and space that is not always available in the classroom.  You can devote more time to areas of special interest to your child or deficit areas that might need more attention and practice.  You will have plenty of time to teach your child about what it means to have a personal relationship with the Lord, spend time reading the Bible together, memorize Scripture, etc.  Hopefully you will be ready for a college/university if you choose to go!
Potential Drawbacks:  Your child is in your hands.  While this is a gift, it can also be a drawback if you are not particularly comfortable or versed in parts of the material.  You may not have your teaching license, so you have probably not have had as much training in teaching strategies or even the content that licensed teachers have.  I have concerns about the social skills of some students that I have met or even been friends with when I was growing up that do not have the daily interaction with peers and adults.  I'm not sure how many people you will have to share Jesus with on a day-to-day basis. (I see potential for academic, physical, and spiritual growth, but think there could be some potential social setbacks if you head down this road). 
2)  Christian School
Obviously there was something about the particular school you are sending your child to.  Perhaps it is the beliefs or leadership of the school.  If it aligns with what you believe, then this can be a great thing.  Your child is in a controlled environment where your values and beliefs are upheld. You will more than likely (depending on the school) be around people with similar socioeconomic status and beliefs.  You will probably be able to share Christ with someone at your school, even though it is "Christian" in name--not everyone has a personal relationship with the Lord, so you might have that opportunity at some point.  Hopefully you will be ready for a college/university if you choose to go!
Potential Drawbacks: Christian school can be very expensive. Obviously it is not accessible to everyone.  Again, there is the potential for social and emotional harm which I have usually seen in the form of the "haves" and the "have nots."  If you are expecting the school to teach your child everything about having a personal relationship with Christ, think again.  You are the parent.  Train up your child--don't leave it solely to the school.  Your child might hear swearing in the hallway or on the bus.  Not everyone will
get along.  Your kiddo might get picked on or be the one picking on someone
else.  (I see potential for academic, physical, and spiritual growth, but think
there could be some potential emotional and social setbacks if you head down this
road). 
3)  Public School
This environment mirrors society.  The society your child will grow up in.  You will be surrounded by all types of people--people that are a lot like you and people that differ from you in almost every possible way.  Your teachers will all be licensed, which I think is important.  There will be a wide range of abilities, personalities, and beliefs in your class.  Depending on the school, there may be a group of believers that meet together such as a FCA, but you might be on your own.  If you decide to go to a college or university, there will likely be diversity there as well, so you might as well get used to it and embrace it!  Hopefully you will be ready for a college/university if you choose to go!
Potential Drawbacks:  It's a public school, so you might hear swearing in the hallway or on the bus.  Not everyone will get along.  You might get picked on or be the one picking on someone else. There will probably be some things taught that you don't agree with.
I'll leave you with this:



Image found at: https://www.google.com/search?q=teaching+is+the+one+profession+that+creates&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=6UiIUbbfJ4GgrgHs-IHYCA&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=60iIUYy-LInmrQGJrIEw#biv=i%7C1%3Bd%7Cmr9rr4v48kCJqM%3A

No comments: