Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Another question

I really can't complain about my UC acting up lately. In fact, it has been behaving itself, and since Christmas, I have not had a flare. Thank you, Lord!

However, the one thing that I cannot shake and that I have never felt so much in my life is absolute lethargy. For those of you that knew me before UC, I would hope that this comes as a shock to you. I always thought of myself as a go-getter, an active person, and someone with limitless energy. Maybe not limitless, but I had a lot. I know I was this way as a little kiddo. My parents tell me about how I wore them out. Ha!

Anyhow, I'm not really sure what is causing my everyday energy to plummet. Exercising is somewhat helpful, but it does not give me the long-lasting energy "buzz" that it used to. I sleep a lot. (I've always required a lot of sleep, so this is nothing new). I'm an 8+ hours a night kind of girl!!

It makes me wonder if my body produces any of its own energy when I am not on steroids??? I've heard stories of people whose hands became extremely dry when they overused hand lotion because the body simply got used to not needing to produce its own moisture. Maybe it's possible that it's a similar thing?? My body is used to living off of Prenisone (corticosteroids), so now it does not produce its own energy?? This is purely speculation, but it seems as though my body revs up to the point where I am HYPER when I'm on Prednisone (to the point of having sleepless nights--ugh), and then when i go off of it, I just crash....and sleep and sleep and sleep.

Just another question to ask my GI doctor.....Am I making all of this up or is there something making me so stinking tired??!!?!?!?!!???



They sure know how to sleep, don't they???

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Mom said...

In addition to what you stated in your blog, is fatigue one of the side effects of the Remicade as well?? If it is, and they doubled your dose, it's not surprising that you would have no energy!! As you say, it could all be related to the effects of the steroids too!! Good questions for the doctors at Mayo too!!

Anonymous said...

Scarlett is on Remicade and is pretty tired. She often falls asleep on the drive home after school. Love ya Kk!

Kristin's Chronicles said...

Shannon, that is really good to know!! At least I'm not the only one.

And mom, I did check the Remicade website, and tiredness is listed as a side effect! I never put two and two together! Silly me.