Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hamburgers? Hot dogs?

OK, so this story is from before Spring Break, but I wanted to document it and not forget it, so I'm telling it now. 

We have recently been studying angles--interior, complementary, and supplementary.  One of the things I push all my kids to do is to label their answers.  In order to get full credit on the first test, you have to show ALL your work and label your answer.  (Side note:  we have a two-test system where you have/get to retake the test if you do not master the concepts the first time around).  So all year long, people, I have been reminding and reminding my students to label each answer (such as "12 feet" instead of just "12"). A student can work the ENTIRE problem correctly, but forget their label, and so they get no credit on Test A.  Makes me want to cry as I'm grading their tests.  But anyhow...

So this unit is a little different because instead of a long label, it is actually just the degree symbol--you know the little circle.  So, as we are working practice problems together on the board, this is what a typical conversation might look like:

Mrs. Kleppe:  So, what did you get for a final answer, ________?
Student:  76.
Mrs. Kleppe:  76 what?  Hamburgers? Hot dogs?
Usually that gets a few little laughs out of my kids--especially the ones that are on top of things.  This is my standard response which just drives home the idea that they HAVE to put their label on each answer or else no one knows what they're talking about.  You know, to put everything in context.  So then usually I get a response like this:

The rest of the class: Nooo...76 DEGREES, Mrs. Kleppe!!! 
(to which I smile and chuckle until the next problem when we repeat this entire conversation over again)...

Anyhow, after a week of this type of conversation as we work through each problem, I have a kiddo (who is usually not paying attention and just in his own little world) who looks up and says, 

"Mrs. Kleppe, where are all these hamburgers and hot dogs that you're talking about???"

I didn't know whether to laugh or not....I felt like saying, "REALLY?!?!?"  I think the kid that sits next to him explained it (even afterwards, he did NOT get it).  You just never know what you're going to get with 7th graders.  I love my job and yes, even their utter unawareness (is that even a word?)!

No comments: