Tuesday, January 22, 2013

8 Reasons I Know I Married the Right Person

1.  The week day MK and I met, I knew we were going to get married.  I can't explain it fully, but God laid it on my heart, and it was much more than simple infatuation (which was there too!!!).  I just had such a peace about it, and at 19 years old, that's a big deal.

2.  When MK and I are together, we don't have to be talking.  There can just be silence.....we are able to just "be" together.  I love that.

3.  If you look at a personality test, I'm not sure two people could score off the charts as more different from one another as far how we are wired and driven.   MK is much more people-oriented and is just sooooo unbelievably good with people.  I am much more task-driven and like the accomplishment of completing tasks.  This is not to say that we do not have some overlap because we do, but I think that the fact that we are so different actually works well for us because we complement one another and fill in each other's blind spots (and believe me, we have blind spots!!!)

4.  I adorable Matt's family.  I could not have asked for better in-laws and brothers.  They are absolutely wonderful, supportive, encouraging, and soooooo much fun to be around.  You don't really know it when you get married, but you are marrying a family, and God hit a home run for me in this department.  I'm so blessed. I think my family pretty much adores MK.  I often feel like they might choose him over me...seriously. haha!

5.  Similar interests.  While it may seem petty, I think because we enjoy doing similar activities together, we continue to fall more in love with each other and just enjoy being together.  For example, MK does not have to beg me to watch Michigan football with him.  I ACTUALLY enjoy it!!  And vice-versa...one of my favorite things to do is play board games, and I never have to drag MK to the table.  He loves to play too (actually we met playing cards, so it goes all the way back to the beginning)!  Watching sports (both on tv and live), golfing together, running and working out together, playing games, going to movies, playing with Bailey, reading, watching tv....we just enjoy doing a lot of the same things, and so we have FUN together which brings so much joy to our marriage.

6.  Whenever we are out in public people-watching or just around other couples, a lot of times when we leave we will both comment on how perfect we are for one another.  It's nothing against anyone else, but we just see how we "fit" together and how God completely designed us for one another.  Again, I can't explain it, but we just walk away from the situation thankful that we get to go home together. 

7. Our first 5 years of marriage have not always been easy.  We have been dealt some interesting cards and thrown for some loops. My health issues have not only taken a toll on me, but also on MK. He has been my rock.  He never complains about taking care of me; he is quick to serve me and get me what I need when I need it.  He has definitely already proven true to his word when he promised to love me "in sickness and in health" and for that, I will always be forever grateful to be by his side. 

8.  We have a shared vision for our future:  love God, love one another, love our families and friends, love others and show them Christ.

Love you, babe!


In July we celebrated our 5-year anniversary.  I don't know if it feels like we've been married a long time or if it feels short.  A little bit of both.  We've had so much fun that it's flown by, but in some ways I feel like we've always been married and I don't really remember life before marriage.  So, here's to years of wedded bliss, MK!!! 

PS-One thing that I know has shaped and helped us in our marriage was attending a FamilyLife Weekend to Remember conference...we actually liked it so much the first time, that we went back for a second year in a row.  Life happened, and we weren't able to go last year, but we are planning to attend another one in March.  We are pumped!  Right now I have a coupon for half price registration, so email/Facebook message me if you want me to pass it on to you!  I would LOVE to do that!!!

No comments: