Monday, May 20, 2013

How dogs have *hopefully* semi-prepared us for babies

Don't laugh and don't judge. Ha. I know, I know. Dogs are not babies. Well, for the past few years, they have been like children to us.
Here is how these four-legged fur babies will hopefully prepare us for two-legged real babies someday:
1. Cleaning up pee, urine, and vomit don't even bug us anymore. It's like we are well-oiled machines now. Grab a Walmart sack, an old towel, paper towel, and the carpet cleaner and in under a minute the soiled area is as good as new.
2. Just like I imagine it will be with kids, we take the pups to get shots and treatments done at the vet even when we know they don't like it (like getting their anal sacks cleaned out) because we know its best for them. (Ok let's hope we don't have to get our kids' anal sacks cleaned out).
3. If we really want the dogs to obey us or break a bad habit, MK and I have to be aligned and consistent. That's just good parenting right there :-)
4. We have invested our time and energy into these dogs: Petsmart classes, leash training, practicing tricks and behaviors, going to vet appointments, etc. ya gotta get over yourself and do it. Sometimes it's not fun, but it's worth it.
5. I love watching the dogs in those moments of pure joy. Like today, I took them to play in the creek sans leashes. You would have thought I had given them the moon....I have never seen so much running, swimming, and diving into the water with what can only be described as pure JOY on their faces. I'll take a video next time!!!
6. Getting up in the night to let them out (not so much now but when Bailey was a pup). I don't miss that.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: