It is so funny how my husband and I go about vacation so differently. It shouldn't be strange to me that we do it so differently since we really are two very different people in just about everything else, but I still find it amusing.
The bottom line is this: When it comes down to it, on vacation we both truly "vacate" most of our traditional roles, priorities, and preferences from our everyday lives.
Here are some examples:
1. Matt typically thrives on being spontaneous and does well when he needs to fly by the seat of his pants in day to day life.
On vacation... he wants it mapped out. He wants to know what we're doing everyday. He needs a detailed agenda. Pronto.
2. I, on the other hand, typically am the keeper of the agenda. I have things mapped out, and I've planned ahead. Don't try to throw a wrench in the plans because I have mentally been planning things out, and I don't like my plans getting thwarted or changed at the last minute.
On vacation....I don't mind being spontaneous. I just want to relax and not do much of anything. My brain is ready for a break. If I don't know what the next day holds, that's fine. WE'RE ON VACATION FOR HEAVENS SAKE. I'm sure we'll figure it out.
3. When we go places, I love to be on time. Period. That doesn't mean it always happens, but I prefer to be on time. And by on time, I actually mean early. (Unless it's a social setting, and then I like to be the last one there because I get anxious, but that's beside the point)
On vacation... I am fine with getting to the airport with just enough time to get through security and to our flight. Obvioulsy I don't want to miss it, but I don't want to sit there for hours waiting either.
On vacation....I pack my suitcase right before we leave. It drives MK crazy sometimes.
4. MK wants to be at the airport with extra time to spare. We're talking like being there in time for an international flight early.
On vacation I discover his organizational skills that have been dormant....and my extreme preparedness flies out the window. We always disagree on what time we should get to the airport, but inevitably, he pulls rank and we are always there in plenty of time (and because of him, we've never missed a single flight. Good work, MK!)
On vacation...MK packs his suitcase while in advance. It's so impressive.
5. If you've ever looked in my purse (and now Will's diaper bag), you will know that I like to have everything I could possibly ever need with me. Typically this results in purses/diaper bags that are extremely heavy.
On vacation... I'm typically a bare minimum person, especially if we're flying. (Road trips are another story....then you can bring whatever you want and just stuff it in the car). I usually figure that if we need it, we'll just run to
6. MK typically is a bare minimum guy. He usually depends on me to have cash when we need it for parking or tolls, change when he wants to buy a newspaper, gum when he wants it, a Tide to go stick for those pesky spills, etc. He expects me to have it with me, and I usually do.
On vacation, MK wants to be prepared for any/all circumstances. He doesn't want to be caught off guard, and he has a tendency to over pack. But he's always prepared. Gotta love it. He would make the boy scouts proud.
We really are a good balance for one another. I'm sure I drive my husband crazy when we vacation because I'm usually such a planner and then all of a sudden, I just become carefree. And I actually really appreciate that he's such a planner when we're on trips because I am totally not. I'm always glad when he's done his research on stuff and has everything figured out for us. It's a beautiful thing.
Do you and your spouse switch roles on one another? Do you vacate your normal life on vacation?
T-minus 5 days until we're officially on vacation and totally switch roles on one another.
PS-Any tips for flying with a 5-month old? We'd appreciate it! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment