Sunday, August 1, 2010

You can't go wrong

I usually make fun of people that pick and choose the things that they like about their church.  Things that are so trivial such as the chairs, the wallpaper in the bathroom, or the type of communion elements that are passed (you know what I'm talking about--wine versus grape juice and bread v. wafers that melt on your tongue v. little square cube things).  I'm sure if I were to ask anyone off the street, they would have a preference about all of these things in their church.  To me, these things don't truly matter. 

The two things in a worship service that I really look at are the message (what the pastor speaks about and where it comes from--God's Word or ... elsewhere) and also the style of worship.  Now, I know that worship style is just different for everyone. You truly can't please everyone in the crowd.  Thank goodness we have hundreds of churches within a 20 mile radius of our home. 

But anyhow, the thing that I love about our church, is how they just slip a really good hymn in every now and then.   Don't get me wrong--I love the guitars, drums, and keyboard, but there is just something about a good ol hymn that I love.  I love it's sweet melody with underlying harmonies.  I love how the old people that sit around us all come alive and start chiming in.  I love how they remind me of my church back in Iowa--I can still remember most of the lyrics to songs that I sang when I was only 8 or 9 but I can definitely remember the melody.  And I love the way that inevitably there will be a few seconds where we sing acapella.  You just can't go wrong with hymns.  

No comments: