Friday, July 30, 2010

Creepiness

Today a random guy in skanky clothes knocked on our door.  I know it sounds silly, but I remember watching an Oprah once where she talked about paying attention to your senses.  She said something to the effect of "fear is the body's way of protecting itself."  Well, I wasn't afraid...just guarded.

No, I didn't answer the door. But after he left, I felt bad...maybe he had broken down or had lost his dog...or something equally pitiful?!?  So, I waited a few minutes, and poked my head out the door nonchalantly.  He was at our neighbor's, and he knocked on their door....and walked away.

On one hand, I was glad that our old man next door neighbor wasn't home...but then I really felt alone.  For the next hour, I tried to peek out all of our windows without being seen, so I'm opening the blinds, but not REALLY opening them.  It was probably quite a scene.

Bailey could not figure out why I wouldn't open the door...she was begging to go outside...but she didn't bark.  The one time I needed her to bark, she didn't.  She just wagged her tail at me, looking like "why won't you let me see the person on the other side of that door?!?!"  So much for choosing a fierce guard dog....

Anyhow, nothing happened, and hopefully creepy, skanky man is gone.  Ugh.  Just kinda gave me the willies.  We teach our kiddos to not talk to strangers and we don't consider it rude.  Why doesn't the same go for adults?

I guess there wasn't really a point to blogging about this except that it got me thinking...when should I open the door and when shouldn't I?  I mean, this guy didn't have a name tag on or anything that made him reputable, and I just had a "feeling"...but just because some man at the door has a uniform on doesn't mean he could be any less of a threat?  Ugh.  I just don't really like feeling scared or like a prisoner in my own home.  These are my thoughts today...

Thankfully MK is on his way home from work and should be here ANY MINUTE.  

No comments: