Saturday, August 28, 2010

In the swing of things

I am slowly but surely getting into the swing of things.  I've made it through the first full week of school with my kiddos, and they are shaping up to be a great group.  It is definitely a different bunch from last year, but different is just fine! 

I've also made it through "Meet the Teacher" night, which makes for a long work day.  The parents of my kiddos seem to be very helpful and supportive, so I definitely appreciate that! 

It is just amazing how different the second year can feel as compared to the first.  Last year, my sweet kiddos kept asking me how to get to their next class or what to take with them to PE.  It was literally like the blind leading the blind.  I had no idea where to send kids.  They would ask me questions about the schedule or certain school expectations, and I would constantly use the "I don't know, but I'll get back to you" reply.  It worked just fine, but I definitely did not always feel one step ahead of my kids with regards to building norms and things like that.  I was just too new to know those things.  Just one year in, and I feel so much more informed.  Those first-of-the-year jitters may always be there, but it's so nice to have been around the block for a year! 

It's also fun to know the 8th graders AND the 7th graders.  My kids from last year just look so old and grown up now.  I can hardly recognize some of them!!!  It will be really fun to go to football games this year and know the kids out there playing.  Very exciting!!!

Overall, it's been a great start to the year!  Look out 2010-2011 school year, here I come!

1 comment:

Mom said...

You'll be awesome for sure!! :)