Sunday, August 23, 2009

3------->5------->3

3: The number of days I have taught! After having attended what felt like an eternity of professional development days, I was ready for school to start and the kiddos to come! During all those inservice days, I began to feel somewhat overwhelmed at the amount of information they were throwing at me and what all I needed to remember. Thankfully, I have an awesome mentor teacher and a handful of other 7 grade Math teachers that are all there for me when I am ready to ask one of my millions of questions. Being [somewhat of] a control freak, it was tough knowing so much less than everyone else around me. OK, I am a huge control freak. :)

So, by the time the kiddos arrived, I was READY!!! It was great those first few days because I knew so much more than the kids!!! Haha, but really, it was nice to be "in my element" and start the year. The first 3 days was spent getting to know my kids--I still don't know all their names, but I'm working on it--helping THEM learn their schedules, their lockers, routines, procedures. Wendi already told me that October was one of her favorite months of school because you know everyone's name, they know you, but school is still fresh. I'm holding out for October! That sounds awesome, but I know it'll just take time to get to that point.

All in all, GRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT first week of school. The kids seem fantastic, my team is fantastic, everyone in the building is so helpful it's just wonderful, my schedule is fantastic (I have first hour prep every day, so that is soo nice since I'm a new teacher...I can get my bearings first thing each day),etc. I could go on and on. Plus, for those of you that know me well, you'll know why this next part is so great: SCHOOL STARTS AT 8:45. Thank you, Jesus. I am a better teacher because I get my sleep each night. Can I get an, "amen?"

PS-I'm also at the same school as Wendi's mother-in-law, which is just a hoot--who would have ever thought?!?!??! I am so blessed by her, and she has helped me out so much. Thank you so so much, Cici!!! :)

5: The number of days until my parents move here!!! My dad accepted a position at Fellowship down here, so we are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited that they are moving and so soon. It has been a long time since "the Nervigs" have all lived so close to one another. I think the last time was when Wendi was still in high school and I was a 6th grader back in 1998. Wow! 11 years later, and here we are. Mom and Dad, we can't wait for Friday!!!

3: Matt has the next 3 weekends off. I am so proud of him. He has put in A LOT of Saturdays at the bank, and now it is finally paying off. We are so excited, especially now that I am teaching, that he will get some Saturdays off so that we can see one another. He's got some fun things lined up for his Saturdays, including an LPGA tournament that comes to NW Arkansas every year (thanks to the Cupps for graciously getting him tickets).

I have more updates for another time.....it's sure been a biiiiiiiiiiiig week in more ways than one for me.......but for now, back to my lesson plans. :)

1 comment:

Mom said...

Can't wait to be there! Thanks for hanging in there so well after a BIG week and weekend!

Love you! We'll be there before you know it!

Love ya!