Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's a close one...

I'm not sure who is more ready for Thanksgiving break...the students or us teachers.  The kids have entered what I call the "auto-pilot" zone of the school year.  Since this is my first year, I'm not really good at anticipating them or even predicting them really.  But I'm not too dumb to be able to label what we're clearly going through--which is definitely a phase that is much like auto-pilot.

The kids are on board, but no one is really flying the airplane, so to speak.

It's amazing--even the most responsible are not doing their homework. Last night alone I made 8 parent phone calls to let these kiddo's parents know that they are slacking.  I wish I taught an age where I could just say, "it's your choice....do your homework or not.  It really doesn't affect me." Ha!  That would be so easy...college professors, you've got it made in that respect.  A student fails your class, and you can look them in the eye and say, "you did not do your project, presentation, test, fill-in-the-blank."  NOT SO WITH ME and my little 7th graders!  I have to pretty much track with my kiddos for weeks, providing consequences, then providing rewards when they do follow through!  Without any step in the process, I will not see results.  Since this is the week leading up to a break, I am doing everything I can to get my kids to turn in their homework, so that they qualify for re-tests and such.  It is tiring, but so rewarding, when I see students "get it" for the first time after I've re-taught and re-taught over and over.  It can be an exhausting process!   

It is tiring.  I need a break. The kids need a break.  I'm not sure who needs it more though...at this point it's a toss up.  Good thing there's only 2 days until Thanksgiving break!

Who's counting?

No comments: