Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update

Well, my long-term subbing position is practically in full-swing. Today was day #18 and I think I am FINALLY starting to get my kids "trained." Any teacher will tell you that teaching is nearly impossible without good classroom management. Fortunately I basically treated my kiddos as if they were in boot camp the first few weeks, so things are looking up.

The staff at my school has been very supportive overall, with lots of people offering help and advice and doing whatever they can to make me feel welcome.

I am learning a lot about myself and my teaching abilities (and inabilities too)...perhaps one of the greatest lessons has been teaching a 90% Hispanic population. I am constantly repeating and slowing down what I say all day long, but I think this is really a good lesson no matter what. When I'm excited, when I'm in front of people, and when I'm teaching I tend to talk pretty fast, so I'm learning to slow down and make myself more and more clear in my speech. A good lesson for anyone, but especially a newbie teacher like myself.


I realized in this post that I usually talk about my school stuff, but fail to update all you "followers" (all 3 of you) to all the other good stuff:

1. Matt and I are doing great. He's been a trooper as I've taken on this job with all of its responsibilities. His patience and kindness never cease to amaze me!

2. My parents came down 2 weekends ago, and it was great to have a Nervig family weekend....McAlisters, Settlers of Catan, Sonic happy hour drinks, chatting, great meals, good conversation, and fun memories...it's always a blast with you guys! We are really looking forward to them moving down to Arkansas in June! What's the countdown to now, Mom? I'm sure you know......... :)

3. We're hoping to get together with the Kleppe side of the fam in March. Weekends are always jampacked with good food, good fun, and great memories. Can't wait to see ya'll soon!

4. We continue to be blessed by living so close to the Cupps. It's so fun to be so close to my sister. I realized when I moved down here that it had been 6 years since we had lived in the same state as one another and 10 years since we lived together in Little Rock. FAR TOO LONG! Plus, Matt and Chris have formed a great bond while Wendi and I hang out with the COLESTER! He's just growing like a weed, and it's fun to be around for each new milestone. Some of my favorite Cole things are the way he is fascinated by letters of any kind, how my "fish face" always makes him laugh, and how he can line up his little cars and make the noises so well. Pretty impressive for a little guy just shy of a year and a half.

5. We are really enjoying getting to know the other couples in our community group. They are one of the highlights of our week....our group fits together so well. :)

I think that's it. Eek. Must go to bed. The school day starts early, and if you are reading this, you know that I DON'T DO EARLY WELL!!!!

1 comment:

Wendi Cupp said...

Loved the update! I bet your kiddos LOVE you...just as your nephew does. YOu should hear him...he can tell Sadie to "Sit" and "Stay!" :) Love you and I'm proud of you!