Monday, January 12, 2009

The Wonderful World of Subbing

Well, the real world has accepted me into its arms. I am no longer a student. For the first time in 18 years, I do not have homework. I do not have tests to study for. I do not have projects to create, design, complete, etc. I have no small group projects. I have no exams. I don't even have a Praxis test looming in the near future.

For right now I am enjoying subbing. Here's why:

-It is work experience that is finally DIRECTLY related to my field of study. You can't get any closer to teaching than substitute teaching. And I actually get paid for it. That's a new one!

-I laugh just about every day that I sub. Kids say the funniest things, and I enjoy that aspect of subbing.

-You get to set your own schedule. You want to work one day--GREAT. You have something going on the next--GREAT. I like the flexibility....a lot!

-I don't actually take anything home with me at the end of the day. I love planning and grading (most of the time), but who doesn't enjoy taking home an empty bag every night? [I'm trying not to get too attached to this one].

-So far I have yet to work with someone I don't like. The teachers at the school that I've been subbing at have been so wonderful--welcoming, helpful, and just all around nice, encouraging people.


I'm sure there is more. This is just a taste. I really like what I'm doing right now, and the real world really isn't too bad at this point. I do need a teaching job in NW Arkansas though, so for all of my like 3 readers, please keep your eyes and ears open. I'd really appreciate it.

1 comment:

Wendi Cupp said...

You're going to be a phenomenal teacher, girl...God is waiting to knock your socks off...

Love you.