I did the inevitable and changed my profile picture to the annual Christmas picture. Matt and I are so excited for the extended time together that we have to look forward to with our families. We went to Saturday night church last night and it really put us in the true holiday spirit. It was a very creative service, which told the Christmas story through a 50/50 combo of classic Christmas songs and carols mixed with an amazing message interspersed every few minutes. It was great to be reminded of the true meaning of this holiday season. I feel so blessed to know the REAL meaning of Christmas. I cannot imagine how overwhelming Christmas would be if it was all about the stuff--the perfect Christmas party, the perfect holiday food, the crazy Black Friday shopping experience, the perfect wrapping, etc. So much pressure to have everything!
Fortunately, I was raised in a family where we had all these great things, but we still knew the true meaning of Christmas and we weren't allowed to forget it. Thanks Mom and Dad! Even now, my family always reads the Christmas story from Luke 2 together before a single gift is opened. And then without a doubt, my dad asks, "So why do we give gifts, kids?" When we were younger, Wendi and I would rush through a "because we love each other!!!"
Now (not that I'm really that much less of a kid or anything), it is wonderful to pause and reflect on the ultimate gift--Jesus Christ--and remember that he is the only one that has chosen to LEAVE heaven and choose to COME to Earth to redeem us. Wow, what a gift. This year, Matt and I are wondering how we can give back this Christmas, and we're considering lots of ways to give back to those that are close to the heart of God, whether it be those less fortunate or just someone in need this year. We think it will be a great way to celebrate. We're excited to celebrate the birth of Jesus (t-minus 11 days)!!!
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great post...LOVE your pic too! I'm so excited for more extended time with you guys too!
Post a Comment