Saturday, June 16, 2018

Mayo Clinic #1 - Update Before Surgery

It is time! My doctor here and at Mayo agree that we have given it everything we have but it is time to do surgery to remove my large intestine. Even though surgery is never ideal, we feel confident it’s the right time to do this and we know the Mayo Clinic is the best of the best. 

The procedure will Be Friday, June 29th at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. We will get up there two days before to do lab work and some consultation appointments beforehand with the surgeon and an ostomy nurse. 



It will be a two or three part surgery, depending on how things go. The first surgery they completely remove my colon, create a colostomy, and build a “j pouch” with my small intestine which will serve as my new colon later. After everything heals up (3-6 months later), I will go back for the takedown surgery to take down the colostomy and re-connect the j-pouch. This first surgery we will be in the hospital in Rochester about 3-5 days and resting in a hotel nearby for about another week before coming home. 



We would so appreciate your prayers for:
-my team of doctors, nurses, and the surgeon for wisdom and knowledge
-for full healing and recovery 
-safe travels
-Patience with the colostomy which I’m sure will be as fun as it sounds! 
-energy for Matt, my parents, and his parents as they take care of Will and me. 
-for extra grace for sweet Will as his mama is recovery and not able to do everything I normally do for him. And patience for me with myself as I want so desperately to be present. ❤️ 

-that we would take this opportunity to be intentional in conversation and action with our medical team to show them the love of Jesus and encourage them while we are there. Nursing is such an amazing calling! 

I’m always open for questions, so please let me know. You can check out more details on the actual procedure  I’ll be having here: 


Thank you for joining us in prayer! We are so thankful for it amazing friends and family and the gift of community! 


No comments: