Friday, March 27, 2015

A Different Perspective

I read an article on Facebook tonight that states that "they" lied when they said that "the only thing that matters is a healthy baby and healthy momma" once the baby arrives. That, in fact, how you deliver matters, because so many people's birth plans don't go, well, as planned. (Here's the link for the full article:

http://bestofbabylady.com/lied-matters-birth/)


And it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.  


Begin rant: 

While I think articles like this can bring good conversation and be somewhat therapeutic for some people (and while I think it was written with good intentions), we must also remember that there are people waiting for a baby that would give anything to be in your shoes. As we sit and complain that our child's birth didn't happen "the way we wanted it to," we must also remember to use awareness. I once heard a wise quote that went something like this: "be careful who you complain to and what you complain about. Someone else would give ANYTHING to be in that very same situation you are complaining about." 

End rant.


Ps-I was told at about 30 weeks that we would have Will by c-section (due to a long list of reasons). I get what it's like to make a plan and dream and then have the dream taken away.  With all of my health issues, I think I approach things from a different perspective. I am thankful when my health is good, but I don't EXPECT it to be good all the time.  There's nothing wrong with a birth plan, but we can't EXPECT it to necessarily go that way. 


Also, when people found out that we weren't finding out the gender of our baby, many people said something to the tune of "we could never do that with our first baby; maybe with our second or third. We have to know the gender."  I always thought to myself "Well, we aren't promised another baby, so there's that."  I guess when you normally have good health, it can be easy to assume that you'll just get pregnant again, have another baby when you want it, kids will be spaced out perfectly how you want them, and your deliveries will be exactly how you want them. That must be nice. 


That just hasn't been my experience. And ya know what? I'm ok with it not being about me. I'm not in control anyway.  Nothing wrong with planning, but we also must trust that God is ultimately in control.  If we think we are in control, we are just fooling ourselves anyway. 


And for those of you that stuck with me to read my rant, here's a sweet Will picture that I'll leave you with. I am sooooo behind on blogging, but this obviously struck a nerve with me.




No comments: