So, on Monday I had my annual colonoscopy. Remember you chose to read this blog, so I'm warning you that at times, you will probably think to yourself "TMI." It won't hurt my feelings if you quit reading at this point and I might even recommend it if you don't like where this is headed, but it's kind of like a car accident and some of you can't look away either, right? You've never had a colonoscopy and you secretly want to know what it's like or maybe you are just curious. Well, here you go:
It really was not nearly as bad this time....I did not have to drink the "Golytely" (Go lightly--what a joke for a name) like I did last time, which is a gallon of pure hell. It basically tastes like salt water and you have to drink 12 ounces every 30 minutes, and it's torture.
This time my doctor had me take some laxatives and 284 grams (two weeks worth of daily doses) of Miralax in 2 quarts of Gatorade. As I was mixing it up, I was thinking "what have I gotten myself into?" But, it really didn't taste nearly as bad, but it had pretty much the same effect. Pooping--and lots of it. You kinda wonder how you can keep going, and yet you do...it's bizarre and disgusting. (Just being honest).
Anyhow, about 30 minutes before a colonoscopy they hook you up to an IV, have you take a pregnancy test (it was negative), and do all your vitals. The actual room that it is conducted in has a giant tv screen, where they can see everything going on inside your colon. Kinda glad I DON'T have to watch. Ugh! They give you oxygen, you lay on your side, and then they start the anesthesia (praise the Lord!). I literally think I was asleep within 2 minutes of them starting it, and I woke up about 35 minutes later. I can't thank whoever invented that stuff enough. This time I actually woke up a few minutes before the procedure was over, but I was so out of it, I didn't really care. It felt like I was dreaming it, but I'm sure I wasn't.
Afterwards, you are groggy simply from the anesthesia, but I have never had any pain, which is why the whole process really isn't that bad. (I guess it's truly all a matter of perspective, but because I have ongoing GI issues, I really have no pride or shame anymore talking about any of this stuff). You do what you have to do to get better. This is just part of the process for me.
So anyhow...when the doctor came out to speak with me and my mom (my designated driver for the day), he gave us great news! He said my colon looked better than even he anticipated, which I took as good news!! Last year, they were unable to do any biopsies of my colon because I had too many ulcers and there was no space to take any good tissue samples. This year he was able to do about 10, so hopefully we will get the results back on those within about a week!
Overall, it was a successful procedure and I felt great about the news my doctor gave me. So, praise the Lord for progress and a good outcome!
(If you read this whole thing, I truly admire you...obviously it is not fun to go through these experiences, but if me sharing my story helps or educates even 1 person, then I consider it worth it, so I try to be an open book).
Here's to NOT having to do THAT for another year......................
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment